Unleavened Bread Recipes
When the power of yeast was not discovered, bread was made unleavened, which means it didn’t rise. Unleavened bread has different varieties like matzo, pita bread and tortillas. The unleavened bread recipes not only adds variety to your diet but also provides several health benefits. Don’t forget to add whole grain bread with unleavened bread to get full nutrition.
Health benefits of Unleavened Bread
Nutritional content varies in different varieties of unleavened bread. However, unleavened bread products are low in calories and fats. Therefore, they are a good source of carbohydrates. For instance,
- The half ounce whole wheat grain contains merely 49 calories, 11 g carbohydrates and 2 g protein. It is totally fat free.
- A small whole-wheat tortilla is higher in calories and fat but a better source of carbs and protein, with 127 calories, 4 grams of fat, 19 grams of carbs and 4 grams of protein in one tortilla.
The unleavened bread in its whole grain version is surplus source of fiber. Fiber provides a number of health benefits that go beyond keeping you regular. Eating whole grain bread regularly not only improve the cardiac health but also lower the risk of diabetes. Unleavened whole grain bread helps in losing weight.
The unleavened whole grain bread also provides vitamin B which is necessary for the proper functioning of the body. Each vitamin B in the body has a specific task to do. All these vitamins helps to extract energy from the food we eat. Unleavened bread also contains small amounts of riboflavin, pantothenic acid, niacin, folate, vitamin B-6 and
Unleavened breads are also rich in manganese and selenium, which are two trace minerals that function as antioxidants in your body. Antioxidants are substances that protect your cells from damage by chemicals known as free radicals. They reduce the cell damage which prevents or stop the signs of early aging. Antioxidants present in unleavened bread also minimize the chances of certain diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes and heart disease.
Unleavened bread is one of the man’s first prepared foods. The unleavened bread recipes are in use of years. They are easy to make and store well in refrigerators.
Unleavened Bread recipe #1
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Four cups whole wheat flour
- One cup white flour
- 2 cups water
- ¼ Cups honey
- 11/2 cups salt
- ¼ cup oil
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix it well.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Then cut it rectangles of 4 by 5.
- Bake it for 15 minutes at 400 degree Celsius.
- You have to prick bubbles that are form at the start of baking.
Unleavened Bread recipe #2
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 tablespoon salt
- Preheat oven to 2200C or 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- With water, mix it until dough is soft.
- Form dough into 6 balls and press into disks onto the prepared baking sheet using your hands.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread is cooked, 8 to 10 minutes.
Watch the video below to make an easy unleavened bread recipe for Passover. Enjoy it!
Do let me know what is your favorite unleavened bread recipe. I would love to hear you